- Have lights in all entrances.
- Have good locks on all doors and windows.
- Do not use your full name on your mailbox, in the phone directory, or on your answering machine.
- Do not leave a schedule of your times away from home on your answering machine.
- If you live alone, do not let strangers know. Invent a roommate or big dog.
- Know which of your neighbors you can trust in an emergency.
- Check who is at the door before opening it, and do not open the door to an unexpected visitor.
- Don't hide extra keys in easily accessible places. Criminals will find them.
- Ask for photo identification of all repair persons, etc. If you are still suspicious, call to verify employment.
- Never give personal information to telephone solicitors.
- Consider creating a "safe room" with a separate telephone line or cellular phone, and strong locks. If someone breaks in, you can retreat there (with children) and call for help.
- Do not let strangers into your home to use the phone. Offer to make the call for them.