- When confronted by a threatening dog, our impulse is often to turn and run - the worst response, since movement triggers the chase instinct in dogs.
- Stand very still and try to be calm.
- Don't scream at the dog and run.
- Be aware of where the dog is. Look in its general direction, but don't stare into its eyes. This is considered an aggressive challenge.
- Let the dog sniff you.
- In a low voice say, "No! Go home!"
- Stay still until the dog leaves.
- Back away slowly until it's out of sight.
- If a dog does attack, try to "feed" it your workout jacket, bike equipment (briefcase, purse) to distract the dog while you back slowly away towards safety.
- If you are knocked down or fall, curl into a ball and keep your hands over your ears, face, and neck. Try not to scream or roll around.