NOT CURRENTLY ACCEPTING NEW APPLICATIONS FOR DETENTION OFFICER.
|The duties of a Detention Officer include but are not limited to:
- Conducting security walks and headcounts.
- Performing inmate cell searches.
- Performing searches of inmates and visitors.
- Performing strip searches of inmates.
- Conducting continual visual surveillance of inmates and various areas of detention facilities.
- Providing inmate services, recreation, serving meals, visitation and clothing exchanges.
- Selecting and operating appropriate buttons, switches and knobs used to control doors, sliders, and communication systems.
- Monitoring and controlling all activities regarding inmate movement.
- Pursuing fleeing inmates on foot.
- Using body force to gain entrance through barriers to seize or rescue inmates.
- Subduing resisting inmates using approved non-lethal weapons i.e., pepper spray (chemical discharge containing Oleo Resin Capsicum), stun devices (short duration exposure containing 50,000 volts and .0004 amps).
- Performing basic first aid procedures and cardiopulmonary resuscitation as needed.
- Gathering information for investigations by interviewing and obtaining the statements of the victims, witnesses, suspects and confidential informants.
- Preparing logbook entries and writing reports.
- Taking inventory and inspecting security equipment.
- Operating telephones, electronic equipment, fingerprint equipment, cameras and fax machines.
- Communicating over radio channels while initiating and responding to radio communications.
- Managing interpersonal conflicts to maintain order.